Wednesday, December 29, 2010

How it all Began

If you asked young women if they've ever watched Anime before, they'll most likely tell you no. If you asked young women if they've ever watched Sailor Moon, a hand full might say yes. Very few people realize that Sailor Moon was indeed an Anime show, and those few people would most likely be those who aren't aware of what Anime is.

I was apart of that group. Yet I was so deeply in love with the show that when they cancelled it, I had to find the show on line, see what I missed and their excuse as to why they cancelled the show. They cancelled it for one main reason, but it was inevitable it would be cancelled for two additional reasons. The main reason was that for the final season, Sailor Moon Stars, the three new characters were men who turned into women. For a children's show, that would surely raise questions. I didn't see anything wrong with that, but the morality of society would. The other two reasons are as follows:

1.) The character Zoisite or Zoycite as known in English had such a close relationship with Kunzite or Malachite as known in English. It was stated that when the anime was created, they were lovers. Because of this relationship, the original male Zoisite was changed into a female.

2.) Sailor Uranus and Neptune were called cousins, however it was clearly obvious that they were more than just that. Their relationship went deeper than that of cousins and were on the verge of lovers as well, though the Americanized version did tone it down a little.

I was very upset to learn that these were most likely the cause of the cancellation of my favorite show, yet it opened me up to the world of yaoi. However I did not explore this world completely until I found the show Yu Yu Hakusho, that used to air on Cartoon Network on Saturday nights. The characters Hiei and Kurama were my first yaoi characters. Reading fanfiction and staring at pictures of the couple, both fan art or otherwise was a favorite past time for me. However I felt so incomplete. I needed more, so I search for more. Dragon Ball Z, Gundam Wing, Fushigi Yuugi, even the child show Pokemon all fell to my yaoi needs.

I felt like I was being consumed, that this was all I needed in life and nothing else was important. Oh such narrow-minded thinking back then. It is still part of my life, but now I don't need so much consumption of it to function; to think, the work, to watch TV or eat. It is not all my life revolves around. Still, the only place for a yaoi fix would be on the Internet, but what about in the outside world?

Have you ever noticed that anything gay related is short-shortage? Movies and Books? They are very hard to find and if they are found, they're in a section that one would dare not go, unless they wish to be stared at or sneak about, waiting for the opportune time when no one is around. Why is it like that? I believe that works of homosexuality to be proudly displayed. I'm not saying that should be completely explicit, those types of books should be tucked away from prying little eyes, however those that are about the trials and tribulations the characters go through in order to be accepted, find love and happiness should be displayed. They are no different than any other books produced, they just happen to have a main character that is looking for love from a same-sex person.

Thus, this brings me to the point of this entry, my goal of creating this blog. I'm searching for help, for those who are willing to sit and read. I want to join that handful of authors that create wonderful works of fiction of the homosexual genre. I want to give those all those yaoi lovers, something more to read than what can be found online. I want to create physical material that can be read over and over in the safety of a private room, late at night or during the day, all without the hazard of anyone reading over their shoulder and possibly getting in trouble. For all those who can not afford a laptop, iPod touch or iPad, these creations, these novels will mean so much more to them and that's what I wish to accomplish. However, I can not accomplish this without the support and feedback from others.

I'm looking to all those who are willing to help, to give me ideas and suggestions, your feedback will be greatly appreciated and mentioned in any works bound and published.

Yaoi is my way of life, is it yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment